This casino needed to determine which operating departments were performing well and which areas were opportunities for improvement. A pure financial evaluation doesn’t provide the complete picture of operations, morale, communication, and skill sets of personnel. They needed to understand the efficiency, customer service levels, financial performance, staffing levels, and strength of their personnel.
WhiteSand applied its formal process to this effort to evaluate each operating department including:
- Food & Beverage
- Information Technology
WhiteSand utilized a formal methodology to evaluate each operating area and provide insight into the efficiency and profitability of the operation. This included evaluating payroll, overtime, budgets, staffing levels, and the strength of personnel as well as operating efficiency and customer service. The measurements gathered were compared to a peer group for ranking and was evaluated against business plan objectives.
The operations review presented a detailed report for each operating area allowing executive management to focus on issues in marketing, hotel, and food & beverage. Specifically, the following recommendations were implemented:
- Unprofitable marketing promotions were halted;
- Personnel changes were made in various departments;
- Menu pricing was adjusted;
- Schedules were modified;
- Staffing levels were adjusted;
- Casino floor changes were implemented (game mix and game locations);
- Hotel operating procedures were updated;
- Older technology systems were upgraded or eliminated;
- Duplicated and unnecessary costs were eliminated.
This resulted in a more efficient and more profitable operation across the entire organization, allowing executive management to focus on revenue growth instead of chasing small issues on a day-to-day basis.